Skip to content
Department of State Homepage State Library & Archives of Florida Services for Citizens Services for State Employees Services for Librarians Services for Archivists Services for Records Managers

Division of Library and Information Services : Research : Search Our Catalogs : Archives Catalog

State Archives of Florida Online Catalog

Magnifying glass over a document.

The Online Catalog allows searching and browsing of information about the State Archives of Florida's holdings of over 40,000 cubic feet of state and local government records and historical manuscripts. The catalog provides descriptions of over 2,700 collections and lists the contents of containers and folders in many of those collections.


SearchAdvanced Search  | Browse Indexes | Browse Collections  | FAQ

Details Page

Click on for detailed listing.

Record Group Number: 000200
Series/Collection Number: .S 1831
Creator: Florida Forest Service.
Title, Dates: Program and project photographs, 1931-1940.
Amount: 800.00 photographs
Medium Included: photographs 5-1/2x3-1/4" (Acetate negatives. )
Organization/Arrangement: Numerical by image number assigned by Forest Service.
Restrictions:
Terms Governing Use:
Biographical/Historical:     The Florida Forest Service was one of a succession of state offices responsible for overseeing the commercial, industrial, and natural resources of Florida's forests.  The Florida Forest Service was established in 1928, succeeding the Florida Board of Forestry. It cooperated with federal and state agencies, counties, towns, corporations, and individuals in disseminating information about Florida forests, managing fire prevention and control programs, and enforcing laws pertaining to forests and woodlands.
    In 1929 the Florida Forest Service began a reforestation program, producing pine seedlings for sale to Florida landowners to encourage them to replace the trees that had been harvested during early logging activities.  The first nursery was established at the state prison at Raiford.  The Civilian Conservation Corps, established in 1933, gave great impetus to the forestry program.  In 1934 Florida's first forestry training camp for agriculture students was held in cooperation with the forest industry, and in 1935 legislation was passed resulting in the formation of the Board of Forestry and Parks.  The Forest Service acquired over 200,000 acres of forest land that decade.
    In 1969, the Florida Forest Service became the Division of Forestry within the new Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
Summary:     This series of photographs documents the programs and activities of the Florida Forest Service, including black-and-white images of virgin forests, controlled burnings, seedling plantings, turpentining, nurseries, state parks, and various Civilian Conservation Corps projects.
Finding Aids: Searchable index available on the Florida Photographic Collection web site at http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/
Additional Physical Form:
Reproduction Note:
Location of Originals/Duplicates:
Associated Materials:
Language Notes:
Ownership/Custodial History:
Publication Note: Photographs are published on the Florida Photographic Collection web site at http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/
General Note: Florida Photographic Collection Number P1982-148, "Forest Service Collection."
Electronic Records Access: http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/
Subject Access Fields: Forests and forestry Florida
Photographs. aat
Negatives. aat
Added Entries