The Online Catalog
allows searching and browsing of information about the State Archives of Florida's
holdings of over 40,000 cubic feet of state and local government records
and historical manuscripts. The catalog provides descriptions of over
2,700 collections and lists the contents of containers and folders in
many of those collections.
Thomas Brown was born on October 24, 1785 in Westmoreland County, Virginia. During the War of 1812, Brown served in the United States Army. He was in the mercantile business in Alexandria, Virginia and later was Chief Clerk in the Post Office in Richmond, Virginia. He was elected to the Virginia Legislature in 1827. Brown moved to Tallahassee, Florida in 1828 and was elected to the Florida Legislature in 1845. As a Whig, Brown was elected Governor of Florida on October 2, 1848, defeating the Democratic candidate, W. Bailey. Brown took office nearly one year later, on October 1, 1849. During his administration, a public seminary was established in Ocala, Florida; the transportation within the state began to improve; the Florida Legislature authorized the construction of a plank toll road from Jacksonville to Lake City; and Jacob Brock began a steamship line on the St. Johns River. In 1849, the "Third Seminole War" broke out in Florida; however, the Seminoles were no longer the threat they once were, and the Indian depredations were exaggerated. Nevertheless, the federal government became determined to complete the removal of the Seminoles to Indian Territory. Brown left office on October 3, 1853 and returned to his home in Tallahassee, where he died on August 24, 1867.
Official correspondence of Thomas Brown, second governor, from 1849-1853. The records reflect the official, constitutional, and political duties of the Office of the Governor. The series consists mainly of incoming and outgoing correspondence filed by general subject area, agency or organizational name, or county name.
Folder listing available.
Additional Physical Form:
Location of Originals/Duplicates:
This collection was organized from a number of accessions of materials transferred from the State Library of Florida.