The Online Catalog allows searching and browsing of information about the Florida State Archives’ holdings of over 48,000 cubic feet of state and local government records and historical manuscripts. The catalog provides descriptions of over 3,400 collections and lists the contents of containers and folders in many of those collections. For assistance with accessing and using State Archives collections, call our Reference Staff at 850.245.6719 or email us at email@example.com.
Mosquito Lagoon Lifesaving Station public property inventory, 1896-1898.
1 microfilm reels (1 volume)
Chronological by year, then alphabetical by name of item.
Terms Governing Use:
The United States Life-Saving Service can trace its origins to 1787, when those living along the coast of Massachusetts established a volunteer effort to rescue and aid the numerous shipwrecks and shipwreck victims. In 1807, the Massachusetts Humane Society built surfboats and equipped "Huts of Refuge" with boats and equipment to be used by volunteer rescue crews. In 1848 Congress passed the Newell Act providing for construction of structures to house life-saving rescue equipment in traditional shipwreck areas, principally the New Jersey coastal approaches to New York harbor. In 1852, Congress created the U.S. Lighthouse Board to better administer lighthouse/lightship responsibilities. Finally, in 1871, following a winter in which particularly vicious storms ripped into the Atlantic coast and the Great Lakes, causing great loss of life and property, a public outcry convinced Congress to establish the U.S. Life-Saving Service (USLSS) to meet the need for protection of the life of the men at sea and their ships and cargo. Congress appropriated $100,000 to build and equip new lifesaving stations.
By 1874, life-saving stations expanded to include the coast of Maine and ten locations south of Cape Henry, Virginia, including the outer banks of North Carolina. The next year, additional stations were built on Delmarva, the Great Lakes, and the coast of Florida. Eventually, the Gulf and West Coasts would be included, as well as a floating station on the Ohio River at Louisville, Kentucky, and a boathouse at Nome, Alaska Territory.
By 1878, life-saving stations were mushrooming throughout the country. Congress authorized the construction of three types of stations: the full Life-Saving Station, built along the Atlantic and areas on the Great Lakes; the Lifeboat Station, found near deep water ports on the Great Lakes and the west coast; and Houses of Refuge, along the warmer south Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The Life-Saving Service adopted the district system of organization which was initially created for the Lighthouse Service. By 1881 the service had 183 stations organized into 12 districts, including District 7 (eastern Florida).
On January 20, 1915 the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service and U.S. Life-Saving Service were combined to form the United States Coast Guard.
This collection is comprised of one small volume providing an alphabetical listing of the name and number of each type of equipment and supplies at the Mosquito Lagoon Life-Saving Station. For each item listed, the volume indicates the number on hand from last year, the number received since the last return, the total number, the number expended since the last return, the number remaining on hand, the condition of each item (good, fair, poor), and remarks (e.g. "too heavy"). The volume would be useful for those researching the history of the U.S. Life-Saving Service and the life-saving stations it operated.
Additional Physical Form:
Location of Originals/Duplicates:
Original held by donor.
Electronic Records Access:
Subject Access Fields:
Lifesaving Equipment and supplies.
Mosquito Lagoon (Fla.)