The Online Catalog allows searching and browsing of information about the Florida State Archives’ holdings of over 48,000 cubic feet of state and local government records and historical manuscripts. The catalog provides descriptions of over 3,400 collections and lists the contents of containers and folders in many of those collections. For assistance with accessing and using State Archives collections, call our Reference Staff at 850.245.6719 or email us at email@example.com.
Restricted: Any building plans, blueprints, schematic drawings, or diagrams of government facilities or structures in this series are exempt from public disclosure as per s. 119.071(3)(b)1, F.S. This restriction does not apply to facilities or structures that no longer exist.
Terms Governing Use:
The Division of Animal Industry was created in 1959 (Ch. 59-54, Laws) as part of the Dept. of Agriculture. The Division assumed the responsibilities of the Florida Livestock Board, originally created as the State Livestock Sanitary Board in 1923 (Ch. 7345, Laws). After 1969, the Division continued as part of the Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the successor agency to the Dept. of Agriculture. The duties of the Division include protecting the Florida livestock industry through the control and eradication of brucellosis, tuberculosis, cholera, and other dangerous transmissible diseases of livestock; maintaining animal and poultry disease diagnostic laboratories; inspecting meat and poultry at slaughter; inspecting processing and packaging plants; and recording livestock marks and brands. The Director of the Division also serves as State Veterinarian. The diagnostic laboratory system was created by the State legislature in 1955 (Ch. 29889, Laws) and placed under the Florida Livestock Board. Its first director was Dr. William L. Sippel. The main laboratory opened in 1958 in Kissimmee as a full-service laboratory with Bacteriology, Parasitology, Pathology, Toxicology and Virology Sections. Five branch laboratories designated as Poultry Diagnostic Laboratories were also established and located in Bunnell, Callahan, Cottondale, Dade City, and Miami. The laboratory's focus was on disease detection and control. When the State Livestock Board was abolished in 1961, the diagnostic laboratory was transferred to the newly-created Division of Animal Industry, under the Department of Agriculture. In 1965, an all-species laboratory was opened in Live Oak because of the emerging swine, broiler and cow-calf industry in North Florida.
This series contains the administrative files of the diagnostic laboratories of the Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services's Division of Animal Industry. Materials include correspondence, budgets, reports, photographs, and memorandum. These records also provide information on animal diseases, Florida's livestock industry, and of mid-twentieth century veterinarian practices. Blueprints of the laboratories are restricted pursuant to F.S. 119.07(3)(ee).
Folder listing available.
Additional Physical Form:
Location of Originals/Duplicates:
Series S1231, Division of Animal Industry Microfilm Records, 1958-1968, and S1876, Commissioner of Agriculture Doyle Conner Correspondence Files, 1962-1985, contain related information. Records of the Division's predecessor agency, the Florida Livestock Board, can be found within record group 293.
Electronic Records Access:
Subject Access Fields:
Animal industry Florida Agriculture Florida Cattle Florida Poultry industry Florida Veterinary public health Florida Veterinarians Florida
Reports. aat Letters. aat Budgets. aat Photographs. aat